Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter Schroth Peter Schroth is offline

Default Updating cross-reference to footnote

I'm now trying to use Word 2007. I write documents with lots of footnotes.
Some of them refer to other footnotes. For instance, a footnote might say,
"See supra note 27." I try to do this with Cross-reference, which claims
that "Cross-references are automatically updated if the content is moved to
another location." This is flatly untrue in Word 2000, Word 2003 and Word
2007 -- the cross-references are NOT automatically updated if additional
footnotes are inserted, so the referenced footnote has a different number.

I learned somewhere (certainly not from the Help function in Word 2007,
which generates dozens of irrelevant links to form letters, etc.) that alt-F9
should update the cross-references. Although it looks as if it is doing
this, in fact it does not update the cross-referenced footnote numbers.
Pressing alt-F9 once produces a code and pressing it a second time produces
THE SAME OLD FOOTNOTE NUMBER, not the new footnote number. Word 2000 and
Word 2003 have the same problem.

Is there a way to make the footnote cross-references work correctly? (Or do
I have to go back to WordPerfect, where the footnote cross-references have
worked correctly since 1984?)