Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
ab ab is offline

Default How do I type on a scanned document saved in RTF

Don't know if it will help the original poster but I scan forms, save and
open a blank Word document. I then insert the form in the header, resizing
to the Word page as necessary. When I close the header, I can type in the
appropriate places. Having completed the form, I delete the background form
and print my document onto the original.

I would only recommend this method if you often have to fill in this type of
form. Otherwise, use a pen as recommended!

wrote in message ...
You took me a bit seriously there, Graham! Agree with what you say.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
I take it that the gasp was a response to the suggestion to user a pen.
People seem to forget that computers are supposed to help save work, not
make more of it!

It is also worth noting that many forms are intended to be filled with a
pen, so the recipient can perform hand writing analysis. This is
especially true of job applications. A computer filled response to a
request for a handwritten form will ensure the form goes straight into
the shredder.

wrote:
"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
OCR software is optical character reading software which converts
scanned text images (which is what you have) to editable text. Most
scanner packages include at least rudimentary OCR software tools. If
not you'll have to buy some to do this (Finereader is probably the
best). However, scanning a form to enter text into it is going to be a
beast of a job with OCR software - unless you have the version of
Finereader that comes with the form filling tool, which makes the
job child's play. Your best bet would be to set the layout of your
inserted graphic to 'behind text' then build a form over it using
tables. For a one-off it is more sensible to use a pen!

(Gasp!)