Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Autocomplete screen tips just stop working in Word 2003

See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

mvlturner wrote:
Yes, indeed. I'm not a beginner! Everything worked well until one day
this week - when the screen tips simply stopped working. That's why
it feels like a bug. It has happened before ... and then one day it
comes back again. Hmmph.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Do you have the 'show Autocomplete suggestions' check box checked in
tools autocorrect options autotext?
Do your autotext names share the same leading characters? The names
have to have at least four unique characters in order to display the
tip. If the first four characters are shared by another entry name
you have to keep typing until the string becomes unique.
If all else fails you can pick them from the menu

mvlturner wrote:
Autocomplete doesn't work by itself, i.e. with a screen tip followed
by enter. It works only m,anually - by my pressing F3.

"zkid" wrote:

Hmmm, okay. At least you know the autotext is still there.

Does the autocomplete work if the cursor is not up against another
word? As far as I know, It think that's correct behavior.

"mvlturner" wrote:

Yes. F3 activates the autocomplete manually ... but I have to
remember all the autocompletes!
However, if the cursor is adjacent to the following word, then F3
does NOT activate ther autocomplete, whereas the screen tip, when
working, will enter the text at the cursor.

"zkid" wrote:

Will it expand if you press F3 after the first few characters?

"mvlturner" wrote:

Is this a bug? Sometimes screen tips just stop showing on screen
(but dates ... January, September etc) keep showing their screen
tips!