Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Millicent

Default Saving WOrd 2003 as Word 6 for Quark

Thanks for the advice. I added a HKEY pointing to the file and it works fine.
Do you want a copy of the converter?

Millicent

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Microsoft has been widely criticised for security leaks in its products. It
has plugged as many leaks as it has found to date and one of them was the
old converters for Word. You can still use these old converters however,

In order for the file save options to appear in the dialog they must be
present in the registry as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\Text Converters\Export
If you have access to a Word 2000 equipped PC, see what entry it has in
relation to the converter that you wish to use. In fact if you export that
registry key to a file and post that file to my web site along with a copy
of the old converter I will make it available there. (Zip them before
posting).

RTF files (which is what Word 6 files are) will always have some bumph at
the start. You can strip this by opening and saving in Word Pad. However, I
suspect that what you really need is the old text converter (already
available from my web site http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm ) to save as
text ANS format (You can save it with the doc extension if you put quotes
around the filename). I have not used Quark but if it uses tags to set the
formatting, this should work.

Millicent wrote:
I have recently upgraded to a new computer and Word 2003. I work with
people using Quark Xpress 4 on Macintoshes - sending them documents
formatted using style sheets that can then be imported into Quark
with the style sheets. They require documents to be saved as Word 6,
but Word 2003 does not offer the same option as Word 2000 to save as
a Word 6/97 file.
If I use the option offered - Word 97-2003 & 6.0/95 - rtf (*doc) -
the files come through with a lot of rubbish code at the top and are
is a plain text without style sheets.
I have located the .cnv files on my old computer but when I copy them
into the TEXTCONV folder in program files/common/microsoft shared,
Word does not pick up any of the additional files.
Is there a solution to this problem - I MUST BE ABLE TO SAVE THE FILE
AS WORD 6/97. I have tried all sorts of variations with the saving in
Word 2003 including turning off features etc. How can I get Word 2003
to "recognise" the additional .cnv files? Or is my only solution to
ditch 2003 and go back to 2000?

Millicent