Beth Melton

That is a little different. If your document is getting saved with
such a file name then that makes me think your Save command has been
intercepted by a third-party utility but if it happens without you
actually saving the document I'm inclined to think it may be a macro
virus.

See if the issue occurs when you start Word using the /a switch. Go to
Start/Run and run:

winword /a

Note the space before the forward slash.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"J" wrote in message
I'm not sure you fully understand my question.

When I start Word I have a blank document. After I enter my data
and click
on the save button on the bar sometimes it just saves the document
as
~$xxxxx. This is on a new document that was never created. It will
also
happen on exsisting documents. When I open the document sometime
after its
been open the file name listed at the top of the screen will change.
The change will consist of ~$xxxx.

This is what I would like to know how to fix.
Thanks

"J" wrote:

I am using Office 2003 Pro with Win XP Pro.
Several times when I save a new document it is assigned a strange
name that
begins with ~ . This also happens when I edit an exsisting
document.
What do I do so that it will continually ask me to name new
documents and
will save the exsisting ones with the original filename.