mranz

I may be missing something here, but the problem is getting the Includetext
instruction into Excel in the first place. In the Mac programs I mentioned
you could just type the Includetext document name into the Excel date
document and proceed as you described. With later iterations you can't type
it; you have to use Insert/Field, select Includetext and deal with the path
and document name. I thought a work around might be to create the
instruction in Word and paste it into Excel, but so far all I can get is the
resulting text, not the field code instruction(s) I am look for.

"macropod" wrote:

Hi,

Perhaps the simplest way to achieve what you're after is to copy the source
area in your Excel workbook, then paste it into Word using Edit|Paste
Special and choosing the 'paste link' and whatever formatting options Word
offers that suits your needs. This does essentially the same as what you
described for the Mac.

Cheers

"mranz" wrote in message
news
I think I understand sentence 1. I have an Excel file named Excel Data.

The
header record cell A1 is labled "Endorsements". Cell A2 is filled with

the
name of a document saved as "ALTA 9.doc". It's about a page and a half of
text.

I started a new Word main document, identified Excel Data as the data
source, went to insert field and selected Includetext, and hit O.K. Then

the edit links menue, change, brouse and select Excel Data. {Includetext
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\My Documents\\Mmerge data\\Excel Data.xls"
\*Mergeformat } is the result as I am not following the instructions in

your
sentence 2 correctly. I am missing something.

And thanks for you help for an out of date MAC user forced to the PC.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

You don't need to insert the Word field in the Excel data. All you need

do is insert the filename and/or the bookmark name of the text you want

insert. Then call the field(s) containing this information in an

Includetext
field in the merge document eg
{Includetext "C:\\path\\{Mergefield TextFile}"}

mranz wrote:
Word & Excel 2003 on XP
I have a mail merge form project that is too large for a Word table
(too many columns) and I need to use the IncludeText field code in
the data source. I could use an unformated Word text data source,
but the data for each record is so large it is next to impossible to
edit without the benefit of a table and Excel offers huge advantages
in its sort and fill functions. But I can't seem to get a Word field
code into an Excel spreadsheet. The best I seem to be able to do is
get the Word result to display in Excel, but not the field code
formula I want. Can this be done?

For what it is worth, I can get exactly what I want using Excel 4 and
Word
5.1 on Mac OS 9 by paste linking the Excel data source as unformated
text in a Word document and then using that as the Word data source
for the Word main document. You never have to open and try to edit
the Word unformated text data document. Make the change in your
Excel data document and they are automatically updated into the Word
data file.

---