Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How to view a complete downloaded template,top of template cut

It was another MVP (Windows Shell) who taught me that trick. It really makes
the daily calendar I'm creating look nice. I will keep your information in
mind tho. I don't usually need that feature but all it takes is once - like
this time. Makes the world of difference!

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Generally speaking, a decimal tab aligns text on the first non-numeric
character in a string (other than the thousands separator). I have only
rarely used it to align times, but where it really comes in handy is when
you're trying to align figures in a table where some are in parentheses
(negative numbers) or have asterisks or other note reference characters
after them.

I see that my article at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/SettingTabs.htm explains how to set
tabs but doesn't really explain what the different kinds do. When I revamp
that article, I should probably add that.

so
all may benefit.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote in message
.. .
I recently learned about being able to use colons in a decimal aligned

tab.
I can't find diddly on it anywhere. It's pretty cool because now I can

line
up times in a Publisher document that I am making but I'll be darned if I
can find anywhere that times me that the tab properties can use colons

that
way.

If Word is more than you need, try WordPad instead.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"WFM" wrote in message
Thanks, JoAnn and Suzanne for the replies.

I still don't understand the "white space" feature. Really though the
bigger problem is that Word is so big, complex and full of esoteric
features
that it I find it unweildy when I try to do anything out of the my

normal
routine. Trying to figure out something that should be a simple task,
such
as using a downloaded template, usually becomes a muti-hour excercise
in
frustration!

I'm not complaining about the product per se, because I think Word is a
terrific program. But it really needs a more user-friendly way for us
non-professionals to learn how to use program features. I'm not
interested
in taking Word training courses because I have neither the time nor the
inclination. I just want things clearly and completely explained in an
easily-used Help section. I could find nothing in my Help searches
that
even
remotely refered to the "white spaces" problem. How was I to know?
But
then, maybe I just missed it! Or perhaps, I didn't use the proper key
word
when I did the search. Very frustrating and time-consuming!

Thanks again, I appreciate your help.

WFM