Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
John John is offline

Default Invalid Merge Field error

Based on a lot of help I was able to create a directory linked to an Excel
table via DDE. Now, I am encountering an 'Invalid Merge Field' error when
trying to merge the document. Not all the columns in the Excel are available
even though they were when I made the template. Results based on searches in
this newsgroup for this issue basically indicate that DDE is "flaky at best"
which is what I am experiencing. (I had at one point successfully complete a
merge with this very template.)

Preferrably, a solution to the Invalid Merge Field error is available (see
note). Short of that, is there another approach for merging text or
formatted (%) numbers into the same field (one record has text, the next
record has % number etc.).

Regarding the Invalid Merge Field error:
I have data in every column and record of the Excel table populating the
merge. (this "fixed" the issue for me early on).
--
QWERTY