When you clear the box for "Automatically update," do you also check the box
for "Add to template"? If you don't, you're correcting the problem only for
the current document, not for any subsequent ones.

"College Student" College wrote in
message ...
I am about ready to tear my hair out getting the automatically update

syles
OFF in Word 2003, Finally, Forever, For Good, Never to reoccur again. I

am
so tired of following all the instructions in the help menu to the letter

and
still every time I center one word, or change one tab, I have to go up to
edit and UNDO AUTOMATICALLY UPDATES STYLES, as the WHOLE DOCUMENT CHANGED.
Yes, I am yelling - sorry - I have spent hours at different times trying

get this fixed. I am a college student and this makes typing and working

in
my essays so frustrating. I hope Microsoft creates an addition that you

can
buy WITHOUT the ability for this function to even exist!