Cass

I tried your suggestion and the Task pane still opens. Could it be something
that the sender is doing to cause this? I just spoke to a co-worker and he
says he also has the same task pane opening on some documents he receives.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Q2Fzcw==?=,

Yes, it is definately the mail merg task pane. That is the title at the top.
The funny part is when I open the document the first time I just get the
document alone. Any time after the first time I also get the mail merge task
pane when I open it. This is a daily report I receive through email and it
happens with every one of them if I open it more than the first time.

My guess is that you have a macro addin, somewhere, that's recognizing this is a
mail merge document and displaying the taskpane for you.

As a test:
- Make sure Outlook is not running
- Hold down CTRl and start Word (= Safe mode)
- Locate such a document, hold SHIFT (so no macros in the document can rung)
and open it

Do you still see the task pane opening?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland