Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Default _Hlt Bookmark

I have also noticed the _Hlt bookmarks from time to time. Today, I think I
found out when these bookmarks are added €“ at least I found some operations
that create them. Below I have explained what I found:

When you click a hyperlink, e.g. in a TOC or in a cross-reference created
with the \h switch, a _Hlt bookmark is added to the document. The _Hlt
bookmark includes the character on which you clicked. If you click the first
character in a TOC, the _Hlt book-mark seems to include the entire paragraph
(this also happened a couple of times when clicking a tab leader).

After I found this system, I could create _Hlt bookmarks systematically.
And: €śHlt€ť could actually be an abbreviation of €śHyperLinkText€ť or another
€śT-word€ť.
All the _Hlt bookmarks seem to follow the syntax _Hlt+9 digits, e.g.
€ś_Hlt154502671€ť. The most recently added _Hlt bookmark seems to always have a
higher number than €śolder€ť bookmarks, regardless of where in the document the
hyperlink you click is found.

It may be by coincidence, but the first 5 digits in all the _Hlt bookmarks I
have seen during my test have been: 15450, i.e. all the bookmarks have been
named _Hlt15450XXXX.

Sometimes, when the first _Htl bookmark in a document is created, a second
book-mark, only one number higher and including the same text, has also been
created (i.e. 2 bookmarks to the same text the first time).

If you click exactly the same character in a link more than once, no
additional book-marks are added.

I have not been able to find any system in the last 4 digits of the bookmark
names. They seem to be created randomly and the numbers are not consecutive.

But I cannot find any good reason why the bookmarks are created and what
they can be used for. Why should anybody be interested in retrieving the spot
you clicked to follow a hyperlink?

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?R01j?=,

I have a 150-pg. doc. in Word 2003 on Win. XP Professional, and it is
sporting a large number of _Hlt bookmarks (in addition to _Toc, _Ref, and
those I've created). I understand what the _Toc and _Ref bookmarks are, but
what is the _Hlt? I read something in a Google post that _Hlt may have to do
w/"flaky formatting"?

I know I've seen this kind of bookmark before, but for the life of me I can't
remember what it's related to. I'm replying to let you know that someone has
read it, and to bring the post to the top so that other see it again. Maybe
that will trigger someone's memory...

FWIW, I don't think it has anything to do with "flaky formatting". If you have
a link to that Google post, I'd like to read the entire thread. That may ring
a bell.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org