Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
qumranandy qumranandy is offline

Default Error! Bookmark not defined. HELP!!

Dear John,
There isn't an /r at any of the entries, but there is one case of it in the
file-composition itself. When I was first going through the file and marking
all the Bible verses - and there are tons of them - I got sloppy in my
fingerwork and sometimes saw /r pop up. I deleted it each time, but I guess
it's stuck invisibly.
qumranandy

"John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macinto" wrote:

Oh, damn! I guessed wrong :-)

That error is most often seen in Tables of Contents.

Look up the Help topic "Field codes: XE (Index Entry) field"

As you will see, an XE tag can include a \r to conflate the page numbers
when the same XE tag appears on a range of pages.

Seven of your tags are expecting a bookmark, which doesn't exist. You will
need to search for the content of the XE tag (because you don;t have a page
number to find it with) and remove the "\r" switch from each of them.

Cheers

On 28/8/06 4:30 AM, in article
, "qumranandy"
wrote:

Fear Johnm,
It is indeed an index, which I am constantly updating through addition and
deletion of entries. At last check there were seven instances of " Error!
Bookmark not defined". I globally deleted them with Find-Replace. I then
regenerated the index, and there are the seven right back. Word help says
that I have a page reference for a bookmark that I've deleted. I don't use
bookmarks, never have. I don;t ahve a Table of Contents, nor do I have
headers.
Qumranandy

"John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macinto" wrote:

No, just regenerate the Table of Contents (I think that's a Table of
Contents you are dealing with, not an Index).

Click in the TOC and hit F9. In ToolsOptionsView turn Field Shading to
"Always" so you can see what you are doing...

On 24/8/06 11:47 AM, in article
, "qumranandy"
wrote:

I've created an index swith about 1000 entries. At five or six of the
entries "Error! Bookmark not defined" appears and gets printed in the
output.
Should I delete the entries and reenter them?
Qumranandy

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410