Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
cayce cayce is offline

Default prepare content before pasting into Excel

Thank you Jean-Guy. As it turned out, I had to move quickly and so took a
longer, more tedious %^&**!! road yesterday. However, I expect this task
will arise again so I'll make use of your suggestion then. Thanks again for
taking the time to help me!

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

cayce was telling us:
cayce nous racontait que :

I have an 80-page Word document that has to be converted into a
2-column list in Excel. All the heading styles, which use outline
numbering, will need to be column 1; content underneath each heading
needs to go along side it in column 2. Much of the content is
multi-paragraph using a variety of paragraph styles. In Excel, each
paragraph needs to end up in its own cell.

How can I get column 1 to contain the heading in a cell and
subsequent empty cells under it that match the # of paragraphs in
column 2?

Just pasting special in Excel places all content in 1 column. I am
using Word and Excel 2007. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You could do the following:

Place the cursor at the beginning of the document.
In the Find/Replace dialogue:
1)
Find what: ^p
Replace with ^p^t
Replace All
2)
Click on the "More" button
Check "Use wildcards"
Find what: ^t(*[!^13])(^13)
and use the "Format" button to select the heading style you are using.
Replace with: \1
Replace All

Now, you may need to remove the garbage paragraphs at the end of the
document, and you will need to delete the ΒΆ at the end of the first heading
paragraph because the procedure above will not have treated it.

Now, select all the paragraphs and convert the text to a table using the Tab
delimiter.
This should give you a two-column table that will be easily inserted into
Excel.
It will be easier if all heading paragraphs are first set to the same
heading style...

--
Jean-Guy Marcil