Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Graham Wideman [Visio MVP] Graham Wideman [Visio MVP] is offline

Default Very slow editing doc loaded from network share

Wow -- John' s almost the man this evening! (If we ever cross paths at MVP
conf, one beer on me!)

OK, so I did as you suggested and that seemed to make no difference. Same
slowness, and that observation backed up with watching activity in Filemon.

I tried various combos of those settings (also "Allow background saves") and
didn't hit a good one. I also tried quitting and restarting Word each time
in case this was a setting that takes effect only on start up.

Then I noticed the "Make local copy of files stored on network". That one
*did* have the desired result, including very low disk activity.

So, I'm happy to have *a* way to proceed, but would also be open to further
theories on how to do it better.

Thanks for the very speedy and somewhere-near-the-bullseye reply!

Graham

"John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]" wrote in
message ...
Hi Graham:

Go to ToolsOptionsSave and ensure that "Always make backup copy" is set
"ON" and "Allow fast saves" is set to OFF.