Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Word always opens in design mode (survey form with radiobuttons)

You could use check box form fields. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm and especially
the forms tutorials by Dian Chapman that this article links to.

"KR" wrote in message
Is there an alternate control (maybe non-activeX), or some other good way

of
creating a optionbutton-like form (not userform) in the word document that
allows a user to click to respond, rather than printing and manually

filling
in a circle (symbol)?

This form was originally paper-only, but in today's world, the guy who

does
the survey was getting feedback that folks wanted to be able to respond
electronically instead of having to print and fax their responses. I

pointed
him toward optionbuttons because they are commonly used for surveys, etc.,
but I didn't know that it would cause these types of problems in Word. I'd
really like to suggest an alternative, if there is one... if it can't be
done in word, then they may have to look at other options.

Thanks!
Keith

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
Both problems are entirely caused by having radio buttons in the

document.

Radio buttons are ActiveX controls from the Control Toolbox. Even if you
don't write a single line of VBA code, they will *always* trigger the

macro
security warning unless (and I don't recommend this) you set the macro
security level to Low, or you sign the document with a digital

certificate
and accept the certificate.

If you click the Enable Macros button in the warning, you won't get

Design
Mode.

There is nothing the document author can do to influence the macro

security
levels on other users' computers.

See

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...dc_activeX.asp