Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Annette Annette is offline

Default How do I transfer WORD 2003 Templates for use in WORD 2007?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Select the template itself in the File Open dialog. The title bar
should contain the notation "(Compatibility Mode)" after the
template's name.

Now click the Office icon (File menu) and choose the Convert command.
The template will be upgraded to 2007 format, and the "(Compatibility
Mode)" notation will disappear.

Finally, use File Save As to save the upgraded template. If it
doesn't contain macros, save it in the default .dotx format. If it
does contain macros, you have to manually change the "Save as type"
box in the Save As dialog to save it in the macro-enabled .dotm format
(you'll get a warning box first).

There shouldn't be any problem bringing along styles. Maybe the
template's styles just aren't being shown in the ribbon. Press
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S (or click the little button at the bottom right
corner of the Styles section of the ribbon) to open the Styles task
pane, and then click the third button at the bottom (tooltip "Manage
Styles"). That will show a list of all the currently defined styles,
and lets you manage which ones will be shown in what order.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 13:18:01 -0700, Steve R steve at
subdivision.net.(donotspam) wrote:

I have several different types of WORD 2003 Templates, which I use to create
various types of LEGAL DOCUMENTS -- most of these all have OUTLINE FORMATS
that I have created over several years.

Do I open the .dot of these TEMPLATES and then save them as .dotx (or
whatever it is in 2007)?

These TEMPLATES have several "STYLES" that do not seem to transfer to the
STYLE window in WORD 2007 (at least not automatically).

Thank you.
September 5, 2006
San Diego, California