Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Default Lost Captions, Out of Sequence Captions, ...

Note that (1) Word generally will NOT find text in a text box (to update it
or for any other purpose) and (2) you cannot insert a text box in a frame.
What you have done is to anchor the text box to the paragraph in the frame
and superimpose it over the frame. If you want to use a frame, just put
plain text in it.

"Jim Rodgers" wrote in message

The Update method does not seem to work on fields
embedded into frames. I have some which are
inside text boxes which are then in frames as well.

I can fix these manually for now. My REAL PROBLEM
is I still have one caption inside a textbox, and it is
"lost" somewhere in the document.

Another MS Word feature!

The text box may become visible or maybe even
deleted if I cut several pages of text, then paste
it into notepad to scrub it, and then copy and
paste it back into MS Word.

In fact, let me try that right now...

.... IT WORKED! *************

I had to do it twice before I cut and scrubbed enough
text to accidentally on-purpose delete the phantom
caption. And I never saw it in the process. But, it's
gone finally.

*** More ***

So here's what I am doing now. Id anyone has
a better way (not including ditching MS Word),
then please explain it to me.

1. Open a blank sheet (new document) in Word.
2. Insert an embedded object or paste a copied
object onto he blank page.
3. Format the Object (or whatever it is) using
In Front of Text, Move with Text, Lock Anchor.
4. Select the object, go to the Insert Menu, and
create a caption as required. This will create
a textbox with a caption in it.
5. Format the caption textbox (right-click) and
set it the same as you did the other object.
6. Back in the original document, insert a FRAME
(not a textbox). Format the frame (different
dialog box than the textboxes) for text wrap
around, and set the distance from text=0.
7. Do not remove the border from the Frame yet.
8. Return to the "new doc" and select the object
and the caption textbox together and right-
click / copy.
cursor in the Frame. Now do a Paste.
Pasted items will NOT appear in Frame
except by coincidence.
10. While the object and caption are still both
selected, drag them into the Frame and
align the top left corner. Leave about 0.1
to 0.2" margin between the objects and
the Frame at the top left.
11. Now drag the bottom right corner of the
Frame until it has the same margin as the
top left do.
12. With the cursor, select the number field
in the caption, then right click it, then
choose Update Field in the Rclick menu.

THAT's IT.

Once you are 100% satisfied (which should
be after you have completely written and
proofed the whole document), then you may
reformat the Frame so it has no border with
right click / borders, etc.

Also, this might be when you delete without
saving the new doc / blank pages where you
built the objects and captions and copied them
to the Frames.

In my experience, you must update the Figure
numbers manually, and the GOTO method in the
Edit menu will not find these Fields.

Also, one must take great care in pasting order.
...and where one pastes. These details will
determine the sequence order of the caption
numbers.