Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Potential MAJOR bug in KB969604?

So should we install SP2 and then install the fix, or should we wait
till a fixed SP2 becomes available?

What are the benefits of installing SP2?

On Jul 2, 7:40*am, "Graham Mayor" wrote:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970942/
Now tested - and it does appear to fix the problem with the variables.

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

Graham Mayor wrote:
It seems that a fix may now be available. I have not yet tested it,
but see

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
For the moment, you will have to uninstall SP2. *To do that, in the
Control PanelAdd Remove Programs facility, click on the Installed
Updates link.

"Alex" wrote in message
Hello u all,

we have installed SP2 from office in this Servicepack is KB969604
already intergrated. i already tried to download kb969604 and then i
unistalled it but nothing works. does anyone know where i could
download the patch kb970942
where Steven Du is talking about? Cause we are having a major
problem with some applications from the company i need to get the
update quick. Kindly regards

Alex van Duist

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Yes - if you uninstall an update, Automatic Updates will try to
restore it
... unless of course you have told updates to forget about this
one. I will
worry about resetting the updates when the fix is available. At the
moment
the issue with doc variables is far more important than whatever it
was that
particular update messed around with.

There was also a hotfix - Hotfix KB 969961 - which fixed a problem
with passwords, but also screwed up the variables. I have not even
ventured to investigate what has happened with the password problem
as I only use passwords in documents for third parties who ask for
them. --

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
You can go to Control Panel | Automatic Updates and tell Windows
to reoffer you the updates you declined. Not sure whether that
applies to ones you've already downloaded and installed, but if
you uninstalled it, would it be available for reinstall?

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
. ..
Excellent - now all I have to do is find the KB969604 patch to
reinstall before I can fix it

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

Chris wrote:
we are beta testing a fix for this from MS, it is looking good
and applying this with KB969604 installed resolves the issue (no
uninstall required). We are under the impression this will be
more generally available towards the end of the Month, so its
not far away. "ThirtySix Software" wrote:

Graham -

The only direct contact we've had with MS is Steven Du over at
the MS partner forum
(http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/e...eword/threads).

The internal info posted above came via someone else who has
more "ins" w/ MS than we do.

FYI, for those who can't access the partner forum, Steven has
posted an update:

=====

Dear Partner,

I got an update from our Product Team that a solution of this
issue has been found and our Product Team is testing a hotfix.
The possible hotfix ID is KB970942 and I think it will be
published soon. Thank you for your patience.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----
Best regards,

Steven Du
Partner Online Technical Community

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Next time you communicate with your pet contact, perhaps you
could ask if the fix will require the errant KB969604 to be
re-installed before it can be fixed and whether it will fix
the identical problem in Hotfix KB 969961? It seems that
969604 rolled in the part of the Hotfix that caused the
problem Currently the only 'fix' is to ensure that neither
of these KB updates are installed --

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

ThirtySix Software wrote:
FYI, another update from an internal MS contact. This issue
is being fixed.

====

I received some details from our Security team. *This is a
known issue and they are working on a hotfix at this time.
Additional details (KB article, hotfix, etc.) should be
forthcoming soon. *I will keep you posted.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This sounds promising.

http://word.mvps.org

"ThirtySix Software"
wrote in
message
Another brief update in the partner forum from Steven Du at
MS that I thought
I'd share ... sounds like MS is looking at this.

=====

Our Product Team told me that they are in the process of
investigating this
issue and will try them best to work out a solution soon.
If there is any update from our Product Team, I will post
it in the community.

Thank you for your patience.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----
Best regards,

Steven Du
Partner Online Technical Community

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Well, let's hope the PG will be more responsive to Steven
Du's email than they have been to the reports on Connect.

http://word.mvps.org

"ThirtySix Software"
wrote in
message
FYI, I got this reply from MS on the Partner forum:

Dear Partner,

Thank you for posting in our Partner Online Technical
Community.

From your description, I understand that any document
variables in the document become corrupt after installing
the update KB969604 for Word 2007.
The document variables become normal after uninstalling
the update KB969604.
If there has been any misunderstanding, please let me
know. I am sorry for any inconvenience you have
encountered. According to the steps you listed, I am
able to reproduce the issue after installing the update
KB969604 on my test machine. To address your concern, I
have sent an
email to our Product Team to report this issue.

In the meantime, you are also welcomed to provide your
feedback directly
the product groups via the link below:

https://support.microsoft.com/common...w;en;1214&show...

If there is any update, I will post it in the community.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----
Best regards,

Steven Du
Partner Online Technical Community

"Chris" wrote:

This is not a "Potential Major bug" *it is very real and
very Major. It
will
be affecting 1000's of applications world wide. This
update needs to be
withdrawn by Microsoft immediately.

"DavidP" wrote:

Affecting us, too. Extremely serious. Anyone know how
to beat on Microsoft's
door.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Yes, it is known -- at least out here in the world
outside the Microsoft campus.

We reported this bug last month when the suspect part
of the update
was