Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Default Word/Access mailmerge

Hi Frank,

You previously said "if Access field is blank (no DOB entered) then Word inserts the current date".
Now you say "Word displays 12:00:00 AM". That's entirely different and needs a different set of field coding!!!

If Word displays 12:00:00 AM, you need code like:
{IF{Mergefield Born} 0 {Mergefield Born \@ "d MMMM yyyy"}}

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Frank" wrote in message ...
Hi Graham - {Mergefield Born} or {Mergefield "Born"} both produce the same
result. If the date in the Access field 'Born' is 12/01/1991 then Word
displays 1/12/1991. If there is NO date in the field then Word displays
12:00:00 AM for every record.

There is no field in the database named 'Date', so when testing this against
a Word merge nothing happens.

Does this throw any light on the problem?

Cheers
Frank

Graham Mayor wrote:

What *exactly* does {Mergefield Born} alone produce when there is no data in
the field?
What *exactly* does {Date} alone produce?

Frank wrote:
Macropod - thanks very much for responding. However, can't get your
suggestion to work.
Using: {IF{Mergefield Born}{DATE} {Mergefield Born \@ "d MMMM
yyyy"}} inserts the CURRENT date when mailmerged, UNLESS the Access
field 'Born' contains a date - in which case it merges and displays
correctly.
Where the Access field 'Born' is empty (no date of birth entered) I
just want to mailmerge a blank. To my simple mind - in the example
above - if I could enter 'NOTHING' in place of DATE, that would
produce what I want, but Access isn't that simple!!
Any further advice would be appreciated - I'm beginning to despair!
Frank

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Frank,

This sounds like Access is putting today's date in as the default.
Try this: .. make a copy of the existing DOB field and place it next
.. select both DOB fields and press Ctrl-F9 to wrap them in a new
.. position the cursor between the DOB fields and press Ctrl-F9 to
.. fill in/around the DOB fields, thus:
.. add a date switch to ensure the DATE field is formatted the same
as your dates from Access are displayed, thus: {DATE \@ dd/MM/yyyy}
.. press F9 to update the display
.. run your mailmerge.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Frank" wrote in message
Word merges date of birth correctly where listed in Access records.
However, if Access field is blank (no DOB entered) then Word
inserts the current date. I just want a blank entry if Access field
holds no DOB.

Would be very grateful for help.
Frank