Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
No Name

Default Trouble changing style

Not using DocMap.

The problem occurs in a section of text which I pasted into the document. It
consisted of a list of headings styled as Heading 3 that I was planning to
fill in with material later. I think that caused that entire section to be
styled as a continuous Heading 3 region and maybe that is why it will not
permit me to interpose "normal" lines within that area. I think I will just
redo that section without pasting it.

Jeff

Terry Farrell wrote:
All styles have a 'Style for following paragraph' setting. Have you
checked to make sure that it hasn't inadvertently set itself to
follow with Heading 3 Style? Also, are you ending you Heading 3 with
a paragraph return and not a line feed?

Are you using the DocMap?

wrote in message
Using Word 2002 in XP professional.

Suddenly I am having trouble changing the style assigned to a line or
text:
Following a line formatted as "Heading 3", when I press "enter" to
start a new line, the new line is still formatted as Heading 3! Every
attempt I make to change it to "normal" fails.

If I type some text into the new line, it is formatted as a "heading
3" and
if I select this text and try to change it to "normal" it will not
change. How do I get out of this dilemma? I closed the document and
reopened it but
the problem remains. It is a very long document if that is a factor.

Jeff