Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.spelling.grammar
Bill Davy[_2_] Bill Davy[_2_] is offline

Default Not happy with "The staff are happy" OR "The staff is happy"

Just to get back to basics. My problem is that my version of Word (in UK
English) suggests alternatives for both:

The staff is happy.

The staff are happy.

That is not a matter of compatibility or usage. It is broken. How can a
user stop it (without disabling the rule altogether)?

And for my sins, I was dragged through Latin but the teacher decided one of
us should give up, so I did. Indeed, my matriculation year was the first
where a classical language was not required. There was a general fear
amongst the dons that they were admitting the barbarians.

Bill

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Language evolves - what in my reply would suggest that I believed
something different?
In the UK, very little attention appears to be paid to the teaching of
English grammar, which was not the case 50 years ago when I was at school.
Then there would have been less confusion. Now we have graduates who
cannot use the mother tongue with any degree of competence.

Robert wrote:
Terry

Contrary to what Graham seems to believe, usage evolves by its very
nature, historically, and geographically.

And determining what is the current usage in a given area requires
deep statistical and linguistical analysis, which few people are able
or willing to do.

In any case who would bother to follow their recommendations?

Robert

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 16:00:28 +0100, Terry Farrell wrote:

Robert

That just about covers every possibility. It could be summed up as
'anything goes.'

Terry Farrell