Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
VBMoron VBMoron is offline

Default Outline numbering - headings and no-headings on same level

Hello,

I am quite familiar with using styles, headings, TOCs and so on. But there
is one thing I have been trying to figure out for some time:

For example, I have in a document 4 heading levels:

1.
1.1
1.1.1
1.1.1.1

Usually, all those heading levels actually refer to proper HEADINGS, i.e. a
couple of words that fill less than one line and appear in the TOC. However,
sometimes there are WHOLE PARAGRAPHS that need to be numbered, like this:

1. (heading)
1.1 (heading)
1.1.1 (heading)
1.1.2 (heading)
1.1.1.1 (heading)
2. (heading)
2.1 (heading)
2.1.1 (paragraph)
2.1.2 (paragraph)

Obviously, the numbered paragraphs must not appear in the TOC, so I must
probably apply some no-heading style. But that's were my problem actually
starts:
I can't figure out how to continue my outline numbering from the headings in
the numbered paragraphs. If I apply a different numbered style on the
paragraph that should be "2.1.1" (and make it "level 3") I get "1.1.1"
instead. I do hope there is a solution for this.

Thank you.

Jude