Stefan Blom

You can align the text of odd page footers (or headers) to the right
and the text of even page footers to the left. To position page
numbers outside the margins, use a negative indent (a negative right
indent for right-aligned text and a negative left indent for
left-aligned text). If your footers (headers) also contain other data,
you may have to use tab stops instead of paragraph alignment.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"tinhorn" wrote in message
Thanks, but y'see, using the header/footer bar, I can specify left

or right
justification, but not outside. Outside is an option only when

using the
Insert feature. I'm formatting books and the first page of a

chapter could
be either odd or even numbered.

Unless you know where to find the "outside" option from the

header/footer
toolbar...

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Using the header/footer toolbar is the recommended way to insert

page
numbers in Word (although InsertPage Numbers seems to easy!).

Since you have "Different odd and even" enabled, you can position

the
page number differently on odd and even pages (corresponding to

the
"Outside" option in the Page Numbers dialog box).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"tinhorn" wrote in message
news
Yes, those were the first things I checked, too.

I got numbers to appear by deleting them all, then inserting

them
from the
header/footer toolbar instead of Insert, Page Number function,

but I
had to
center them - no "outside" option.