Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
RichZep RichZep is offline

Default Page numbers & footers in 2007

Thank you Cindy,

Why Microsoft makes that so hard I don't know but not to worry.

Thanks again

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?UmljaFplcA==?=,

On the ribbon, I select the Insert tab and then click on Footer icon. From
the menu I select Blank (three columns). I also note here that there are
options for 1 or 3, not 2? I click on the left €˜placeholder€„˘ and type my
name. Then I click on the middle one and type again. All ok so far. On the
right I want page numbering. On the ribbon (the design tab is active) I click
on the Page Number Icon in the Header and Footer section. From the menu I
select bottom of page, scroll down to x of y and select Bold Numbers 3. The
page numbering goes in but the other text disappears.

OK, I'm with you...

The crux of the problem is that you're dealing with Building Blocks (think
AutoText, but "fancier and new-fangled"). The commands in both lists (Footer as
well as Page Number) *replace* the content of the footer with the Building Block
you're inserting. To put it another way, the selections in the "Page Number"
list don't insert just a page number, they insert the entire footer (containing
only a page number).

What you need to do is click in the third place-holder, then choose "Current
position" from the Page Number list.

If the complete set of three things is something you use often, you can select
it all and create your own buidling block to insert:
1. Select the entire footer
2. Insert tab/Header & Footer group/Footer button
3. Click "Save selection to Footer Gallery".

In the same vein, maybe you can also tell me how to put in an automatic file
name as I can€„˘t find that either.

Insert tab/Text group/Quick parts button. Click the "Field" menu entry. Insert
the field named FileName.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org