Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Newmarch David Newmarch is offline

Default Wildcard to Find and Replace with fields?

Thanks for picking this up.

EndNote bibliographical software, through the EndNote add-in for Word,
inserts in-text bibliographical citations in a Word document as fields.

I'm not concerned at this stage with modifying any fields, Switching to a
different bibliographical style (not to be confused with Word's formatting
styles) is a procedure that EndNote takes care without any difficulty. My
problem is just with finding the fields so that I can delete the
now-extraneous space (in the ordinary Word text, not the field) that in most
instances exists immediately before the point where the field has been
inserted. In other words I want to bring these fields up against the
preceding text - where previously they were inserted with a space between
them and the preceding text.

But Word doesn't let me find ANY fields using wildcards. There are also
other fields in the document, like hyperlinks and a table of Contents, and
when Use Wildcards is checked ^d doesn't find them either. (Without
Wildcards, ^d finds all of them.)

When the field codes are displayed, all of them (the citation entries and
the hyperlinks and what have you) are enclosed in the usual curly brackets. I
also tried just searching for spaces before curly brackets, but Field Code
brackets don't seem to be findable with Find and replace.

Does this information help?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

I am not sure what you mean by EndNote citation fields. If you use Alt+F9
to toggle on the display of field codes in the Word document, what do you
see in place of the fields that you want to modify?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"David Newmarch" wrote in message
In Word 2007 I'm editing a paper which contains EndNote citation fields,
and
in the course of switching the paper to a different bibliographic style I
need to find and replace any space that occurs before a citation. Each
citation exists in the document as a field in Word.

With field codes toggled on, when I do a simple Find for ^d Word finds
each
field with no trouble, but when I switch on "Use wildcards" and try the
syntax
Find: ( )(^d) - and I have also tried ( )([^d])
I get an error message saying that ^d is not supported when the Wildcards
check box is selected.

Can anyone help me with Find and replace syntax that will work for this
task?