I could be wrong, but I think even in Word 97 if you selected the entire
table you could use Delete Rows on the shortcut menu. And of course there
was also Table | Delete Table.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
1. Select the table: With NUMLOCK turned off, hold the ALT key as you
press 5 on the numeric keypad.

2. On the Edit menu, click Cut.

FWIW, I believe this was the only way to do it in Word 97.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Editor" wrote in message
In Word 2003, I want to delete a table. I've tried highlighting the

table and
hitting delete, Table Delete Table, even Table Convert Table

to Text.
However, if I move my cursor right one "space" at a time, the table

is still
there (I can tell by the marks on the ruler). Since this document

will be
converted to Mac and to FrameMaker, this bogus table may show up.

Not to
mention the hassle of having to "tiptoe past a puddle."

How do I permanently delete this bogus table? Is the document

permanently
ruined?