Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Inserting Autotext during a merge

If you add a bit more nesting and use

{ AUTOTEXT "{ IF 1 = 1 "{ MERGEFIELD sig }" }" }

you should be OK. Incidentally, you can still use

{ GLOSSARY "{ IF 1 = 1 "{ MERGEFIELD sig }" }" }

in Word XP but I suepect now would be a good time to change :-)

Peter Jamieson
"Ricki Miles" wrote in message
I am upgrading a mail merge template into Word XP that was previously used
in Word 2 (yes, Word 2!!!!) with data coming from a mainframe. There are
over 50 signatures (just regular text formatted with a script font) that
were used in Word 2 as glossaries.

As an example, if the signature for Mary Smith was created as a glossary
"ms", and "ms" would be entered in the data header for the signatures was
"sig", the mergefield in the template was

{glossary {mergefield sig} }

When merged, the glossary "ms" would be placed in the document and would
automatically expand to "Mary Smith".

I have been unsuccessful getting AutoText in Word XP to automatically
expand when merged. I do not want to use macros unless there is no way
around them.

I appreciate any suggestions - TIA,

Ricki