Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Default Ending page numbering

You're confusing several issues.

1. The 'Different first page' and 'Different odd and even' options on page
setup have nothing to do with page numbering. They control whether you have
different headers and footers on the first/odd/even pages. These settings
can be different for each section of the document.

2. By default, each section of a document uses the same headers and footers
as the previous section; but it need not. The 'Same as previous' button the
Headers and Footers toolbar controls this.

3. You can restart the page numbering for any section by going to Insert
Page Numbers Format and setting the 'Start at' value.

4. Pages are always counted (as you observe). The page number is *displayed*
by inserting a { PAGE } field. If you click OK on the Insert Page numbers
dialog, Word automatically inserts a { PAGE } field in the footer: but you
can do this manually also, and put the page number anywhere.

If you need to skip pages in your numbering, you can do arithmetic with the
page value, as for any other kind of calculation field, eg

{ = { PAGE } * 2 - 1 }

You can also use a { SECTIONPAGES } field to get the number of pages in the
current section.

"Joe McGuire" wrote in message
This is embarassing. How do I end page numbering in a section of my
lengthy document without also wiping out the page numbers I actually want
to keep in the first section? The object is to have 20-30-40 numbered
pages in a single section followed by 3 or 4 separate pages with each
preceded by a section break.

The gory details: I actually have 4 sections. Sections 2, 3 and 4 are
just 1 page each and are actually preexisting documents I inserted. Page
numbering seems to end in sections 2 and 3, but resumes in section
4--where the page numbering reflects the unnumbered pages in the preceding
sections, which are obviously being counted if not displayed. When I
checked Page Setup for sections 2 and 3 I found that it was set fo
Different First Page, whereas section 4 was not. I changed this setting
and now section 4 does not show any page number. But obviously, the page
numbering is still there, just not displayed for the first page of the
section. If the sections were longer than a single page I would be stuck.