Default Heading 1 style overriding TOC 1 style

Starting fresh is always recommended in such cases!

"Jennifer_Lee" wrote in message
Ah, that was it. Thank you. I ended up resetting the Heading 1 style
entirely, and once I did everything was clean. Part of the problem is that
I'm dealing wiht a legacy document that's had untold numbers working on

it,
so there are about 4.8 million styles, all of them totally byzantine in

their
descriptions.

I think I'm just going to nuke 'em all and start fresh.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Is there any font formatting which doesn't come from the style in your
Heading 1 paragraphs? Such direct font formatting will display in the
table of contents. To fix this problem, make sure that you modify the
Heading 1 style directly to include the desired settings (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...ifyAStyle.html) and then
reset font formatting to style, by selecting headings and pressing
Ctrl+SpaceBar. Finally, update the TOC to see the difference.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jennifer_Lee" wrote in message
Hi,

My heading 1 style in my document is very stylized, and not at all

good for
for a TOC. I have my TOC 1 style set to something basic, but that

style keeps
getting overridden by the style settings for heading 1. Any idea how

in the
world I keep this from happening?