ivan's girl

Default AutoCorrect problems in Word 2003

In using Word 2003, I have found myself having the same problem as
"golfchick" in a previous "autocorrect help posting," though no one ever gave
her a helpful answer.

My problem is two-fold: First, Even though I have unchecked all boxes in the
AutoCorrect choices, it still automatically changes many misspelled words
automatically as I type. I don't want it to do this, as I want my kids to
know when they've misspelled a word (hence, I've checked "check spelling as I
type"), but I want it to flag it without changing it automatically. How do I
get it to do that?

Additionally, in a moment of irritation, I began simply deleting the
AutoCorrect entries (which list begins with changing the colon/paren with an
actual smiley face), but I discovered that it is a very long list, and that
this wasn't a very good option to accomplish my purposes. Now I would like
to restore that AutoCorrect list with the default list (including once more
the entries I deleted), if anyone knows how to do so.

However, my main goal to make it stop autocorrecting the spelling errors as
I type. I don't know what else to do besides unchecking all the boxes for
AutoCorrect options, which I've done but which hasn't fixed the problem.