Daiya Mitchell

On 1/25/05 5:11 PM, "SteveK" wrote:

In the meantime I decided to bite the bullet and write that part of the
document with headings for the descriptive text that follows it, in the same
way that I've written the rest of the doc.

This TC field stuff looks interesting but as you are pointing out (I think)
(and not having yet tried it to find out on my own) you can add TC fields to
most of the Heading and Body stuff to make it visible in the TOC but you
can't by default have most of the Heading and Body stuff visible in the body
of the document and only add TC fields to stuff you want to make not
visible. True.

You can tell Word to build the TOC from Heading 1, Heading 2, and TC fields
together, to minimize how many TC fields you need to add. Use settings in
the Options dialog (from the Insert | Index and Tables dialog).

You could probably also build your own set of numbered styles (and not use
the built-in ones) which would then allow you to remove the outline level
for certain headings. But I wouldn't advise it, because numbering is very
tricky. The outline level is also useful for things other than the TOC.

--(by the way, what is the official term for the main stuff outside the TOC?
"Body" seems like it could be confused with the other definition of Body
that goes along with Heading in Styles.)

I generally call it main text. Body text would also work, since Word's use
of Body Text as a style name and outline level is generally going to concur
with your use of it to refer to the main text.

DM