Posted to microsoft.public.word,microsoft.public.word.general,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Default When I type fff the first two letters are closer than the last two

I gotta ask - what word are you using that has three f's in a row?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Peter Olcott" wrote in message
newsP2nf.24956$QW2.1760@dukeread08...

"LC Killingbeck" wrote in message
m...
"Peter Olcott" wrote in

(1) I can't try it on another computer. The only other computer that I
have is identical to this one.
(2) The reasoning that I provided proves that it can't be the display
driver. (3) I am talking about a difference that is small enough that
you can't see it unless you look at the pixels enlarged sixteen times.

While I don't know the answer to that particular question, I think
that we CAN rule it out as being an MS Word issue as you suggest
because it does not happen in MS Word for either Suzanne, JoAnn, or
the two different computers on which I have tried it.

As a result, the only conclusion that I can draw is that it is
something peculiar to your setup - hardware or drivers.

--
Hope this helps.

(snipped massive quotes and indentations)

Might well be that the "right" placement of the characters is about
1/2 of a pixel. As a result, rounding will move some characters
slightly to the left, and others slightly to the right. When
viewed with your particular maginfying glass, the spacing will be
non-uniform.

It is uniform in MS Publisher 98, MS Paint, MS NotePad, and even the first
set of "fff" in MS Word, it is only non-uniform in the subsequent sets of
"fff" in Ms Word.

If so, there is likely nothing you can really do about it. Change to
a different screen resolution will change the rounding properties,
and might fix this (or might make it worse!), and could well depend
on just where across the screen the characters are shown. But, if
your "ideal" display needs to place a character to begin 10.73
pixels from the left edge, and the next character 17.21 pixels from
the left edge - they are going to round the first up and the second
down, and move them closer together than your "ideal, infinite
resolution" display.

I'll call it a display hardware and/or display driver question.
Depending on _exactly_ how a particular software package uses that
hardware and that driver, can easily show different presentation
results, when view with your microscope. That likely explains any
Word versus Notepad difference.

How does all this print on something like a 600 DPI printer, by
the way? Printer resolutions are vastly more refined than any
display, so you will need a more powerful microscope to notice
any non-uniform spacing caused by rounding in the arithmetic.

Printouts look perfect.

Lynn Killingbeck