Mike

If you go to Insert, Field, then select Create Date (rather than Date) this
will create a date that will display the date the letter was created (eg,
merged). I use this for my letter templates as well as merged documents. I
believe this field is new with Word 2002, but it might be in Word 2000 as
well.

Mike

"cbeck29483" wrote in message
I've created a letter mail merge template that I use often. I've inserted
the date so everytime I run the merge it will have the correct date. I

save
the completed merge but if I open the letter at a later time it still

inserts
the current date and time so I've lost the date the letter was originally
created. Is there a way I can turn off the automatic update after the

letter
is merge?