I think you're still confused. Enabling "Different first page" gives you a
separate First Page Header which appears only on the first page of a
section. The primary Header then appears on pages 2 and following. You *can*
make your last-page footer different as well, but you will need a
conditional field:

{ IF { PAGE } = { NUMPAGES } "Text you want to appear on the last page" }

For more, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumbering.htm

"Dave" wrote in message
My 1st page header is different from the next 4, even if I check

(different
first page) and if I don't put a Continuous section break there I'll loose

my
first page header or I'll loose them all when I put a page break there.
My last page footer is different from the previous 4 and without a section
break I can't make the last one different. It's very frustrating....

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

Generally it's not a good idea to have section breaks at the end of each
page--this is one of the reasons why--all it takes is one fatter

character
for Word to decide the page will no longer break at the same place where

you
put the section break. This page explains a little more of the

principle,
if not your exact situation.
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/TextReflow.htm

And the reason you give for having section breaks at the end of every

page
doesn't make any sense at all, as without section breaks, the headers

and
footers will stay the same.

On 3/10/05 1:47 PM, "Dave" wrote:

I'll work on a Document with different Headers and footers put in

section
breaks at the end of each page (so my headers and footers don't

change) and
save it, then go open it and the section breaks are in the wrong

places or
there is added returns at certain places. So I have to do it all over

again
and the same thing happens. Not on all documents but many of them.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/