Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default word and Adobe Acrobat

Try Start - Run, and type "winword.exe /a" into the box provided.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Frankie" wrote in message
I have a confession. I'm a computer idiot.

I don't even know how to start Word with the /a switch (winword.exe /a).

If you would tell me how to do it I would sure like to this.

Frankie

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

OpenOffice is he http://www.openoffice.org/

I'm not sure if this has been suggested yet... but what happens if you
start
Word with the /a switch (winword.exe /a)? Does this let you produce the
pdf
catalog correctly? The /a switch suppresses certain settings, and
normal.dot
(not sure if this suppresses the Adobe Acrobat 5 add-in, too, in which
case
this solution won't help much). If the Adobe toolbar isn't present, then
try
File - Print - Adobe PDF Printer (not sure what version 5 was called),
instead.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"Frankie" wrote in message
Thanks for your participation Herb:

It happens EVERY TIME to ALL word docs I try to convert to a Adobe
PDF
file.

The message from Adobe is:

Acrobat could not open document because it is either not a supported
file
or has been corrupted for example sent as an e-mail attachment and not
correctly decoded

My guess is the problem was caused by an office update o2ksr1a
downloaded
some time ago. I did a search and cant find it to delete.

The free open office sounds great. How do I download and install it?

Frankie

--
I need all the help I can get, and truly do appreciate it.

Frankie

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

Is Adobe reporting that *all* Word documents are corrupted, or just
this
one?

Any idea of which Microsoft download might have caused the problem?

If you're really at wit's end, you might download and install the free
Open
Office, and see if you can use it to produce your catalog. (I
certainly
can't blame you for not wanting to upgrade if what you have was
working
fine, but suddenly "broke" without your having done something to break
it.)

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"Frankie" wrote in message
I use word 2000 to write my catalog and then convert it to a PDF file
using
Adobe Acrobat 5.0
I have done this successfully for over 6 years, without ever having
problem! All of sudden, word docs can not be converted. Adobe
reports
the
word doc is corrupt.

I sent the error report to Microsoft and they say office 2000 is
causing
the
problem and to correct it I should upgrade to office 2007 because it
is
supported and office 2000 is not.

They do not say the problem will be eliminated if I upgrade to
office
2007,
just that I will then be eligible for support with the problem. The
program
was running fine with no problems. Somehow a Microsoft download
caused
this
problem.

I cant afford to buy office 2007 just to let Microsoft try to help
correct
a problem they caused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Frankie

--
I need all the help I can get, and truly do appreciate it.