WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: "Link to Previous" greyed out - why?

The "Link to Previous" option in Microsoft Word

The "Link to Previous" option in the footer of a Microsoft Word document is used to link the footer of one section to the footer of the previous section. This option is often greyed out because the document is not divided into sections. To enable the "Link to Previous" option, you need to divide your document into sections. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Open your document in Microsoft Word.
  2. Click on the "Page Layout" tab in the ribbon.
  3. Click on the "Breaks" button in the "Page Setup" group.
  4. Select "Next Page" under "Section Breaks".
  5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for each section of your document.
  6. Click on the footer of the section where you want to enable the "Link to Previous" option.
  7. Click on the "Link to Previous" button in the "Navigation" group of the "Header & Footer Tools" tab.
  8. The "Link to Previous" option should now be enabled.

If the "Link to Previous" option is still greyed out after dividing your document into sections, it could be because the footer of the previous section is not linked to the footer of the current section. To fix this, follow these steps:
  1. Click on the footer of the previous section.
  2. Click on the "Link to Previous" button in the "Navigation" group of the "Header & Footer Tools" tab.
  3. Click on the footer of the current section.
  4. The "Link to Previous" option should now be enabled.

I hope this helps you enable the "Link to Previous" option in your document's footer.