Colin Higbie

Default Linked Objects and path names

When I link part of an Excel spreadsheet into my Word document (both in
2003), it stores the whole path name to the linked file. This means that
even if I copy the whole folder or put it in a briefcase folder, when it's
on another computer, it thinks the original file is missing.

Is there any way to get Word to just use a relative path (relative to the
document it's working on) for linked objects, instead of demanding the full
path? That way if the two files are in the same folder, it only needs the
file name.

A work-around I've found is to go through and set the name to be the full
UNC path (e.g., \\compname\sharedfolder\linkedfile.xls). That works on both
computers, but it's a pain because I have to share the folder where my
document is, use offline files to replicate that folder to the notebook, and
I have to go back through and manually name the file for every linked object
(dozens and dozens of them).

Is there an easier way?

Thanks,
Colin