Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Auto suggest

Garrison Keillor has (very, very rarely) a slow-talker character whose
hearers try to finish his sentences for him -- and he always goes on
to finish them in a slightly or very different way.

I can see a "predictive text" feature outside the very limited realm
of txting as getting very annoying very quickly.

On Jun 5, 2:34*pm, Jay Freedman wrote:
I think what Daniel is suggesting is the kind of "predictive text"
that's common on cell phones. Word does not have that feature,
although it has been requested before.

There are several differences between predictive text and AutoCorrect.
For example, predictive text works from a built-in dictionary that
includes usage frequency data, and continues to suggest different
words as you add more letters to the text on the screen. AutoCorrect
starts with a limited vocabulary and lets you add more entries,
including "nonsense" aliases for extended text and/or graphics; and it
inserts its value in the document only when you type a space or
punctuation to indicate that you've completed your "word".

Frankly, I'm surprised that Word 2010 doesn't have some kind of
predictive typing feature, and I think it would be a great one for
Office 15.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 19:44:55 +0200, "Stefan Blom"

wrote:
If you mean that you want Word to suggest words previously typed (similar to how
your web browser may suggest previous sites as you type into the address field),
then no, Word doesn't support that.

What you can do is make use of Word's AutoCorrect feature to replace a
particular combination of characters with another combination of characters. For
example, you can instruct Word to replace "acco" with "accommodation."

Note that AutoCorrect isn't limited to single words; you can create a
"formatted" AutoCorrect entry to insert virtually anything: one or more
paragraphs of text, a table, a text box, and so forth.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Daniel" wrote in message
One of the features i like from Open Office, is the auto-suggest /
auto-complete word as you type. Say for example i type accommo the program
will show accommodation as an option and i just hit enter to make the choice
accepted.

Can Word do this too?-