Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Ed Ed is offline

Default Word mailmerge how to do multiple If statements

Hi Peter,

Don't think I can be of any help with this one :-(

I found one thread in the NG which seems similar:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...9b11bc e3dc98

There, the problem seemed to be a possible font oddity.

I suppose you could try different fonts and see what happens.

I tried a test here with non-nested fields in Word 97, 2003 and 2007 and in
each case the blank lines were suppressed.

Answers to some of the following might spark a solution from someone in the
NGs.

What version of Word are you using?

Are the merge fields "free-standing" or are they embedded in other fields
(such as IF fields)? I ask because when Microsoft produced Word 2002 they
re-wrote the merge part and one of the changes was that there were some
circumstances where blank lines would no longer be suppressed automatically
(even when merging to a new document) and one of the circumstances was when
merge fields were inside IF fields. There are a couple of ways to work around
that particular problem.

If you turn on the display of formatting marks does anything unusual show up?

Does the problem happen with one mail merge main document or with all of them?

If you have access to a different printer does the problem happen when you
merge to that? (Seems likely if you also get the problem merging to PDF.)

If you copy everything from you mail merge main document except the last
paragraph mark into a new document and try the merge with that one do you
still get the problem?

If your mail merge main document is based on normal.dot, what happens if you
bypass normal.dot, create a new test document and merge that to the printer?
(To bypass normal.dot, start Word by clicking Start/Run and typing "winword
/a" (without the quotes) in the Run dialog. This will also stop any addins or
global templates loading.)

I've asked a bunch of questions and unfortunately I won't be around for the
rest of today to see the answers as I'm just about to leave the building, but
maybe somebody else will

Regards and good luck!.

Ed

"Peter" wrote:

Hi Ed,

I came across this post in a search regarding this type of merge. I tried
your advice and it worked. Thanks for all the information you've given.

I do have a question regarding the final merge output however. I noticed
that "do not print blank lines" seems to be ignored when merging the document
to a printer or even a pdf driver. If I merge to New Document , then the
blank lines do not appear. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Peter