Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Karin Karin is offline

Default Ask Field and Label Merge

The ask field is at the top of the letter. The reference is located in the
address line and also in a couple of places in the body of the letter.

To then print an envelope or a label (they behave the same), I choose, Tools
/ Letters and Mailings / Envelopes and Labels -- the window comes up with the
address information showing automatically, including the company name. But
when it prints it prints "Error....reference not found" instead of the
company name.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

There is nothing wrong with the fields as they stand, but how are you using
them? You make reference to a letter and to a label or envelope. What
exactly are you merging here and where have you placed these fields?

Karin wrote:
This is the ASK field:

{ASK CompanyName "Type Name of Company, Click OK (do not add extra
returns)" \* MERGEFORMAT}

This is the reference field that is part of the address, and which
will not show when merged with a label (or env):

{REF CompanyName \h \* MERGEFORMAT}

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Can you use alt-F9 to display the underlying field codes and
reproduce them in a message here please? (You can't just copy/paste
them because of the special field braces {} but do your best)

Peter Jamieson

"Karin" wrote in message
news I have a letter with an ASK field for the company name (as it is
found in several places through out the letter) and a FILLIN field
for the address.

When I choose to create a label (or envelope), the FILLIN field is
fine, but
the ASK field shows "error,...not found".

How can I work around this problem?

Thank you.