Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Darren Comeau Darren Comeau is offline

Default Mail Merge pick up 2nd row containing Titles from Excel Worksheet

Hi

I had a similar problem today and couldn't find the answer either.
Deleting the top rows was not an option and half the merge fields were
missing.

I happened to stumble across a spreadsheet that had the print area set
and when I tried to import data from this it gave me the option of
whole spreadsheet or just print area.

This solved my issue so maybe it will for you too. Select the data you
want importing including field titles (so everything except first line
in your case). Set the print area. Now in word select a new data source
and choose "print are". You should only need to do this once.

You may be able to ask the provider of the excel spreadsheet to set the
print area before sending you the file to help avoiding old people
confusion ;-)

Hope this helped,

Darren.

;2706374 Wrote:
This is a simple question but I can't remember how to do this. First
of all I am using Microsoft Word 2003. What I am trying to do is a
mail merge from an excel worksheet. Normally I have no problems doing
this but unfortunately the worksheet I was given does not have the
Title row as the first row instead the Title row is on the second row.

When I select the recipient list I go "browse" then I select the Excel
worksheet and I make sure to uncheck the box that says "First row of
data contains header columns". But the mail merge is still picking up
the first row as the title of the columns.

How do I change the mail merge so that it picks up the second row as
the column titles?

Thanks in advance
Lee

--