Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Word mail merge "Unable to Obtain List of Tables from Data Source"

Typically when working with Outlook contacts it is more reliable and more
flexible to initiate the merge from Outlook - i.e. go into Outlook, select
some contacts, then open Outlook Tools|Mail merge..., study the options, and
go for it.

If you prefer to do it the other way,
a. be aware that the field names of Outlook contact fields differ depending
on how you get the contacts,
b. someone recently posted the following suggestion which seems to me to be
a good thing to try first:

Here's a resolution which has worked for me. I HOPE it helps in your
particular case.

Two steps:

1) Go to Tools / Email Accounts
a. Select "View or change existing directories or address
books", then Next.
b. There SHOULD be an "Outlook Address Book" type MAPI
directory there--but it's most likely missing.
If it's missing, click Add / Additional Address
Books / Outlook Address Book
c. Close and re-open Outlook.

2) In Outlook, right-click on the main Contact folder and go to the
"Outlook Address Book" tab. It's likely the checkbox is de-selected.
Select the checkbox, click Apply, and OK. *Do this for EACH Contact
sub-folder is they exist.

That's it. This has consistently resolved the "Unable to obtain list
of tables from the data source" error.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Stephen Ford" wrote in message
Office 2003
XP SP2 (up to date with MS Update)

In mail merge I get "Unable to Obtain List of Tables from Data Source"

Use Tools Letters and MailingsMail Merge and get to Select from Outlook
contacts and the above error occurs.

I am new to Word mail merge.

I think my office installation is pretty standard. I don't go in for
unusual setup.

Outlook has many contacts and I want to select contact info to unclude in
a merge document. The document being displayed is blank. I was thinking of
selecting recipients and then figuring out how to insert fields and so on.
--
Regards
Stephen Ford