Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Default Multi-level Outlines, Styles & Table of Contents in Word 2007

The "Define New List Style" command is preferred over "Define new Multilevel
List". The two are similar but only the List Style can be modified by
right-clicking on the saved List Style in the gallery and selecting Modify.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You can still do this in Word 2007; it's just accomplished a bit
differently
and not as obvious because the labeling is deceptive. There are numerous
threads here and in the word.numbering NG that discuss this, so if I give
you a bum steer, you can probably find a post that explains it better, but
AIUI, you use the "Define new multi-level list" command (wherever that is)
and then link your predefined styles to the numbering levels.

so
all may benefit.

"Alan" wrote in message
,I have set up Styles in previous versions of Word that contained

customised
multi level outlines which I use for report and schedule numbering ie 1.0
(level 1), 1.1 (Level 2) and a. (level 3). With this I was able to
automatically sequentially number paragraphs and generate a table of

contents
by using only levels 1 & 2 headings.
I have just purchased Word 2007 and cannot link multi level lists with
Styles only single level numbering. As a consequence, I cannot generate a
table of contents. I can create the numbering using the home home multi

level
numbering but this is not a style and the generate contents page tab

required
styles.
Why has something that was working OK been replaced with something that

does
not appear to provide the same level of functionality?