Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Default Multi-level Outlines, Styles & Table of Contents in Word 2007

As I'm sure you know there is a learning curve. I had Word 2003 installed at
one point too but it wasn't until I uninstalled it and forced myself to use
Word 2007 exclusively that I finally adapted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Thanks, Beth. I'm going to be discovering all this for myself very soon, I
hope. My new computer was delivered last week, and I'm gradually getting
it
up and running but haven't installed Office 2007 yet (want to install
Office
2003 first).

so
all may benefit.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
The "Define New List Style" command is preferred over "Define new

Multilevel
List". The two are similar but only the List Style can be modified by
right-clicking on the saved List Style in the gallery and selecting

Modify.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You can still do this in Word 2007; it's just accomplished a bit
differently
and not as obvious because the labeling is deceptive. There are
numerous
threads here and in the word.numbering NG that discuss this, so if I

give
you a bum steer, you can probably find a post that explains it better,

but
AIUI, you use the "Define new multi-level list" command (wherever that

is)
and then link your predefined styles to the numbering levels.