Stefan Blom

I believe creating a specific template for your numbering needs
is the best approach. This is probably also the easiest way to do
it.

An alternative method is to keep two sets of styles: one numbered
and one unnumbered. Whenever you need to change your settings,
use multiple Replace operations (via EditReplace) to change from
one set of styles to another.

--
Stefan Blom

"Nadia" wrote in message
Thanks for your reply Stefan... I hope you see this post, I've

been away.
I understand how to link my heading styles based on a numbered

list and I
had read and applied Shauna Kellys method previously. The

problem with this
is that the Styles will then always be numbered styles (if

added to template)
and I mostly use styles for TOC and only occasionally for

numbered lists so I
dont want permanently numbered styles. (I know...I know.... all

I have to do
is create a new template specifically for numbering).... Im not

trying to be
difficult but in previous versions it was easy to apply styles

to headings
you wanted to be numbered then select the entire document apply

numbering
based on heading styles and bingo! only text with styles were

numbered....no
dramas.... I hate v2003......there Ive had my whinge.

thanks again for your reply Stefan

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

If you access the Bullets and Numbering dialog box via the

Format
menu, pick a numbering scheme and then click OK, numbering

will be
applied to the selected text, which is not what you want.

Instead,
link the heading styles, which you already applied to your

text, to a
numbering scheme as described at

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

--
Stefan Blom

"Nadia" wrote in message
I know how painful numbering is in Word 2003 and I have

read all the
postings
on numbering problems...but I cant seem to find anything to

address
what's
happening on a document I have inherited.

I have applied styles to the relevant headings that I want

numbered,i.e.,
Heading1, Heading2 and Heading3. The rest of the document

is
"normal".

When I select the document and apply outline numbering

based on
heading
styles it changes all my "normal" paragraphs to Heading1

styles and
obviously
includes them in all the numbering. I have checked the

Style for
following
paragraph is "normal" and I have switched off Autoformat as

you
type.....
what am I missing!!