Klaus Linke

Hi Ted,

Probably you have discovered by now that you can find red text by going into
"Format Font" in the "Edit Replace" dialog?
You can just leave the "Find what" text empty if you want to search some
formatting.

If you want to replace the red text with the text "Robin", you put "Robin"
in "Replace with". You can apply some other color (say, "automatic") at the
same time, again by choosing that in "Format Font" while the cursor is in
"Replace with".

If you want to add "Robin" in front of any red text, you'd put "Robin^&" in
"Replace with".
^& will insert the found text. You don't have to remember the placeholder
^&: It's listed among other text when you click on the "Special" button.

Searching for some font would work the same. Searching for a certain
location on the page isn't so simple, but you can search for special
formatting or special characters that determine the location (say "page
break before" in the paragraph format, or manual page breaks, column breaks,
line breaks, ...), or you can limit your search to specific regions (say
footnotes or comments).

Regards,
Klaus

"Ted Shoemaker" wrote:

Hello,

I have a long *.doc file in Word 2000. I would like to locate all the
places in that document which use red text, and insert the word "Robin"
there. Is there an easy way to do this? I don't want to slog through the
document myself, line by line. In case it helps, I'm interested here only
in the standard red color, not in the millions of custom colors.

And let's generalize that question. The "replace" function is set up to
replace text, ignoring font, placement, etc. Suppose I want to change all
occurrences of something without considering the verbal content of the
text itself (e.g. I'm looking for all uses of a certain font, color,
location on the page, etc). Is there a way of manipulating this?

Probably I'm looking for something other than the "replace" function.

Thank you for all help.

Ted Shoemaker