Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ISay ISay is offline

Default Need Macro to remove empty paragraph marks.

This did not work. I think the problem is in your first step; the 'real'
paragraphs do not have two ¶ marks. (I used copy/paste to collect recipes
from the internet, each site has its own way of doing things wrongly for easy
editing.) Every line ends with a ¶; some are followed by an empty line with
only ¶.

I copy the recipes into Notepad until such time as I get around to editing
to put them in my recipe software program. There are carriage returns at the
end of every line but no empty lines in Notepad. When I copy/paste the text
document into Word, I have the empty lines. Is there a solution?

"macropod" wrote:

Hi ISay,

You can use the Find/Replace codes I posted on the whole document (or however much of it you still need to process) at once -
there's no need to process each paragraph individually.

I suggest using a 5-step process:
First, make sure there are two paragraph marks (either '^13' or '^p', it doesn't matter) between the 'real' paragraphs.
The next 4 steps are done sequentially and consist of replacing all instances of :
.. '^13' with '^p'
.. '^p^p' with '!~!'
.. '^p' with ' '
.. '!~!' with '^p' (or '^p^p' if you want to retain two paragraph marks between the 'real' paragraphs).
If you really want to use a macro, record one with the macro recorder - it's fairly efficient in this case. However, it'll take
longer to record than to go through the last 4 steps! And it won't help with ensuring the required initial separation between the
'real' paragraphs.

--
Cheers
macropod