Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Need Macro to remove empty paragraph marks.

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CleanWebText.htm

If that doesn't fix it, send me a sample of the document that displays the
problem to the link on the home page of my web site so I can see what you
are dealing with.

ISay wrote:
This did not work. I think the problem is in your first step; the
'real' paragraphs do not have two ¶ marks. (I used copy/paste to
collect recipes from the internet, each site has its own way of doing
things wrongly for easy editing.) Every line ends with a ¶; some
are followed by an empty line with only ¶.

I copy the recipes into Notepad until such time as I get around to
editing to put them in my recipe software program. There are
carriage returns at the end of every line but no empty lines in
Notepad. When I copy/paste the text document into Word, I have the
empty lines. Is there a solution?

"macropod" wrote:

Hi ISay,

You can use the Find/Replace codes I posted on the whole document
(or however much of it you still need to process) at once - there's
no need to process each paragraph individually.

I suggest using a 5-step process:
First, make sure there are two paragraph marks (either '^13' or
'^p', it doesn't matter) between the 'real' paragraphs.
The next 4 steps are done sequentially and consist of replacing all
instances of : .. '^13' with '^p'
.. '^p^p' with '!~!'
.. '^p' with ' '
.. '!~!' with '^p' (or '^p^p' if you want to retain two paragraph
marks between the 'real' paragraphs).
If you really want to use a macro, record one with the macro
recorder - it's fairly efficient in this case. However, it'll take
longer to record than to go through the last 4 steps! And it won't
help with ensuring the required initial separation between the
'real' paragraphs.

--
Cheers
macropod