You've already gotten the answer you need for today's exercise, but here's a
bit of background: a watermark is no more and no less than a graphic
anchored to the page header. Word 2002 and 2003 make it easy to insert a
watermark through the Format | Background | Printed Watermark dialog
(earlier versions required the relatively cumbersome process described in
€œHOW TO: Create a Watermark in Word 97 and in Microsoft Word 2000€ at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211324), but, especially if you introduce
section breaks after inserting the watermark, that dialog doesn't always
provide a dependable way to remove the watermark. However, with the
knowledge that, no matter how you insert it, a watermark is just a graphic
anchored to the header, you can always remove it by opening the header of
the problem section, selecting the watermark (by clicking on it), and
pressing Delete.

"Rags" wrote in message
I am running Windows XP with MS Word 2003. A while ago I created a word
document and added a "DRAFT" watermark in the background as follows:

FORMAT -- BACKGROUND -- PRINTED WATERMARK -- TEXT WATERMARK

I now want to remove this watermark, but the obvious route did not work:

FORMAT -- BACKGROUND -- PRINTED WATERMARK -- NO WATERMARK

To get around the problem I then tried to superimpose another "DRAFT"
watermark on top, but this time making it white colour to match the paper

and
hide the grey draft beneath. This would have worked had the two pieces of
text appeared in the same place, but they did not....

I then tried "Copy All" and pasted it onto a new file, but this simply
carried the annoying "DRAFT" mark with it. The file has a lot of

formatting,
tabs, numbering etc, so I am loathed to copy without the formatting.

Does anyone have any ideas.....?