Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Default Table of Contents messes up when I update it

You're talking about the TOC itself? Why would it be justified? Why would
TOC styles have an outline level of 2? The other settings do seem reasonable
for a TOC, and if you make those changes to TOC entries, they should be
written back to the TOC styles unless you have cleared the check box for
"Update automatically" in those styles.

http://word.mvps.org

"Erol" wrote in message
Help wanted!

I right click the table of contents I created and click "update field"...
suddenly the below paragraph changes happen:

* Alignment changes from Justified to Left
* Outline level changes from level 2 to body text
* Indentation Right changes from 0 to 36
* Indentation Special changes from none to hanging (By also becomes 36)
* Spacing before changes from 0 to 24

Who knows what else happens. Is there anyway I can avoid this? All I want
the header numbering to update.

MS Word Version 2000

Thanks in advance